Thursday, March 7, 2013

Room

Room
By Emma Donoghue
Terri Thampan 804

   I have recently read an amazing book called "Room". It was so good, I literally didn't stop- couldn't stop- reading until I had finished the last page, having read the whole book in one day. It's told from the perspective of a little boy named Jack who has just turned five years old. His world is turned upside down as his mom decides it's time to tell him the truth; there was a world outside of Room. To Jack, Room is his entire world; this small 11-by-11 foot is all he has ever known, and he doesn't know how to act now that his mom wants to break free.
   First of all, this book is a very emotional book. It deals with the overwhelming feelings of a little boy who has finally came out into the world, and doesn't know what to expect. I think it was beautifully well written, especially with how confused it makes Jack, as well as scared as he doesn't truly know what's real or isn't real.
   I really sympathize with the Mother because she is a woman who is trying to get the most for her son. She had to try and teach him as best as she could in such a small environment. I feel bad for her as she has such an overwhelming task, but not even a friend to comfort her, or at least somebody. She is completely shut off and doesn't know how else to deal with this situation and is stressed out. I think this is why sometimes she tells Jack things that  parents wouldn't normally tell their children. She hasn't really got anyone to talk to so she's just dying to have a normal age level talk with someone else, to talk about what she thinks about things and current events that she hears about.
    I also really like how Jack changes. He starts to open up to new ideas. He starts to realize that there is a world beyond Room. I like how in the beginning when he just turns five he feels so big and important. I think it shows a huge contrast as he soon wishes to wait until he is six for something I shall not spoil. I think we all sort of feel like Jack, once we get even a year older we feel like we can do whatever, that we are on top of the world. But that's just the thing, most of the time, once we actually realize how much responsibility is given the us as we grow up, we start to get scared. So that leaves us to the question, what do we do when we become adults and the responsibility is seemingly endless? We can't hide forever, and once we take the responsibility we start to mature, which is what happened to Jack.
  Overall, I really love this book. I think it was well written and has excellent character growth. I like the second part more than the first though, but if you plan on reading it it's u to you to decide. Here's a little teaser: The ending made me want to cry; but whether that's a good thing or not, you find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment