The Tail of Emily Windsnap
By: Liz Kessler
Terri Thampan 804
I have recently read the book "The Tail of Emily Windsnap". It's about a girl, Emily, who finds out that she can become a mermaid when she is submerged in water. The rest of the story is all about her great adventure in finding out about her father, and her being a mermaid, and the mermaid society.
I think, as this is a children's book, it's not the best, but it's okay. It's a pretty simple plot, and the only thing that kept me going was that it was written in such a simple way, it just didn't let you go, but if anything, I usually can get through simple books, even if the plot is not bad. I just am going to say this: besides it being a bit of a boring cliche, with an easy plot, it wasn't constantly dull enough to get me to put it down.
I find Emily's personality sort of like Tess' in the book about Algebra and stuff. She's really plain, and if anything, was made that way so that girls or whoever read the book could fit in with the character (so basically girls, as the character is a female herself). I find the main character quite, to say it politely, I found the main character as a not bright person. She's not really good at being stealthy, I mean she literally gave it away to her little nemesis that she was doing something she wasn't supposed to, which caused her to get caught. Also, I'd like to think that if an a creepy man, who is somehow giving your mother drugs, gave her donuts every week, would cause normal kids to think he's drugged the donuts. If anything, I find that man's character so... Cliched it's not even funny. Creepy, old, "lonely" dude, who visits your mom for company. He gives you the creeps, he's obviously a suspicious character. I mean, that's the type of guy most kids would not feel comfortable around, or feel comfortable having their mother around. At sixth grade, or whatever grade she's in that is in middle school, I would probably think this man creepy and warn my mom. I think, if to make him less suspicious, make it so that she grew used to him because her mom has always seen this man, and he has attempted to be friendly and she has seen him as a confidant. I think that would make his whole "revealing" part seem a lot more tragic, as this was someone she trusted, and not some creepy old guy who stalked her at times.
I find so many disappointing things done to the old creepy guy, who I will now refer to his as his name, Mr Beeston. I think, it would be so much better if the author worked with his character. I think it would be amazing if he actually was Emily's father who somehow found a way to watch over his wife and daughter even though he couldn't. I think that the fact that he wasn't handsome, but in fact was a really creepy looking old guy would show so much about how a loving, kind person can be found within the hearts of a person whose outward features don't show off their heart's true beauty. I also think, that if it was going to stay the original way, to improve his acting, like I said before, and make him seem like a trustworthy guy. Though I do think that if he was going after someone in a murderous rage, he wouldn't suddenly be all touchy-feely back-story on them about his own childhood. It makes him seem like a desperate character, which may have been the intention, but it seems not so thought out as well. If you like simple stories though, here's a good one!
Great Post Terri! I really liked how you gave examples of how you would improve the characters. I think the book gives much of the story away through the characters, too much perhaps. I agree that the characters needed some work because their was a lot of room for improvement. Again, great post!
ReplyDelete